Dec 19, 2020

On Being A Social Asset

 

I dared to ask Chloe what her plans were for tonight. I said these words exactly, "Do you have plans for tonight?" She was like, "I don't know what my plans are." Nowadays kids don't "make plans," social occurrences just happen. 

Did you know they don't use their phones to actually talk - on the phone - to each other? They "snap" one another. This type of "communication" (and I use this term in its broadest definition) is even quicker than texting and, apparently, talking. Plus, all evidence of the "communication" that just transpired instantly vanishes. I have no idea how this is a helpful feature. 

Anyways...back to the story. Chuck interjected, "She doesn't know now what tonight will look like." To which Chloe responds, "I'm sorry I'm a social asset" (in the snarkiest voice you can muster). If you gave me 10 years, I never would have come up with that term. But the funny thing is, it's true! I need more social assets in my life. I've never been a social asset to anybody. What must that feel like? 

Moral of the story...we still don't know Chloe's plans for tonight. We probably won't until 5 minutes before they happen. Which means, we have no idea what to cook for dinner tonight because, truth be told, that's the only reason we wanted to know. We've discovered that when it's just Chuck and me at home, we don't really feel like making real meals, we'll just find leftovers or eat breakfast for dinner. But if any of the kids are home, we plan a meal. Thus, my dilemma continues...what to cook for dinner?

Share

Blog Archive