Jan 27, 2015

What I Am For


This song always hits straight at my heart.  It's a constant reminder to live a life of grace, not get stuck in the cycle of self-righteousness.  It's a jarring reminder that we are all in need of God's grace and mercy. Who am I to withhold it from anyone?  My job is to love. Not judge.  One of my favorite lines in this song is, Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.  Bam! - another hit at my heart.  Again, it got me thinking, I bet people know more about what I don't agree with than what I do.  Ouch.  What does love look like in my life?  Does my heart break for the things that break His heart?  To be honest, I don't know if my heart can handle that - I'd be in a constant state of brokenness, on my knees, in tears.  Maybe that's exactly where I need to be. Do I look at others through the lens of God's love or through my own, warped lens of what I feel is right and wrong?  God help me.

In the spirit of the song, I want to record what I am for.  I am reminded of Jesus saying, "They will know you by your love", I pray that will one day be true in my life.

1.  I AM FOR LOVE - no restrictions on who deserves it; in all honesty, none of us deserve or can earn it, we are given it freely and therefore give it out freely.  It's a beautiful cycle that just spawns more love.  It is the one thing we all so desperately need.  God is love.

2.  I AM FOR PEACE - between siblings, families, friends, strangers, nations, countries.  It means putting selfish ambition aside, compromising and loving.

3.  I AM FOR KINDNESS - as with love, it goes a long way.  Kindness stops arguments.  Kindness means putting the needs of others above yourself.

4.  I AM FOR FORGIVENESS - What a powerful tool.  I am reminded that I was forgiven before I even knew to ask forgiveness, who am I to withhold forgiveness from someone else.  Forgiveness transforms lives.  It kills the root of bitterness that wants to hold on and destroy your joy and life.

5.  I AM FOR RESPECT - of children, of elders, of parents, of the earth, of animals, of other cultures, of other religions.

6.  I AM FOR NON-VIOLENCE - solving problems without violence can and has been done.  It comes at a huge price often times, but that's the price love pays....it lays down it's life for another.

7.  I AM FOR THANKFULNESS - when you live in a constant state of gratitude it "turns your frown upside down" -  I know that's corny, but true.  To quote Madame Blueberry of the Veggie Tales, "A thankful heart is a happy heart."

8.  I AM FOR GIVING - of myself, my time, my money, my food, my stuff....all I have is a gift.  I hold on to it with open hands, ready to give it away when needed.

9.  I AM FOR HEALTH - healthy choices in food, relationships, taking care of your body and a healthy earth free of pollution.  Greed, laziness, selfishness and ignorance lead to many unhealthy choices.
Share

0 comments:

Blog Archive